Login
Log inLog in
RegisterRegister
Forum IndexForum Index

Ads

Who is Online
22 users online
3 Registered
0 Hidden
19 Guests
Registered Users: nkfdsert, Pamler, Rosettatax


Back to Tolmara Logs
Attempting to assign the role of GM to (318) TaliesinNYC

Attempting to assign the role of GM to (318) TaliesinNYC...
(318) DM: (who needs a recap?)
(316) Dj Gilcrease: (( me ))
(318) DM: (36) DM: There is a mild feeling of disorientation similar to when you entered the archway leading to the Endless Tower...
(36) DM: ...and when your vision clears...

A great river flows slowly through the woods. Huge trees form a vast canopy high
above the 100 foot wide waterway. Silvery leaves flutter down to rest on the water’s
tranquil surface. The water is not frozen. Indeed, the temperature of the air is
warmer than in the plains. It is, however, not a pleasant warmth. The air seems stagnant,
as if spring had stayed here too long and was slowly rotting.

A crystalline bridge crosses the river. On this side of the river, the woods seem tranquil. The forest on the other side is quite another story, as if the trees themselves are in pain. Gashes in the treebark open up like gaping wounds that ooze a sickly green sap that upwells from deep within each tree.

At the foot of the bridge is a floating emerald disk. Upon the disk are three coins, along with a scroll.
(62) Git: :quirks a brow at their new surroundings: "Heh... didn't think it would be as easy as walking through the door and facing the task."
** (62) Git eyes the coins a moment, trying to place their nation of origin **
** (43) Lellick takes a long look around, "I would say this was a nice change of pace, but..." **
(36) DM: The coins appear to be of star elven origin, from the time when Celdenir was a great city and not the ghostly ruin that it is today.
(44) Agatha: "So where are we?"
(62) Git: "Forest of the Damned seems a fitting name."
(62) Git: :suggests as he examines the scroll:
(62) Git: :reads aloud from the scroll: "Cast the coins into the river to recive a vision. The coins shall reveal your final destination and a possible solution or set of solutions to your taksk."
(43) Lellick: "At least they're straight-forward about it this time?"
(62) Git: "Heh... sounds like a Lucky Fountain."
(44) Agatha: "Hunh. Well I've never known a scroll to lie. Let's give it a go."
(62) Git: "It's signed by Martek. And P.S. As Fate is random, so too shall the coin toss determine your path or paths."
(62) Git: "maybe not that straightforward."
** (43) Lellick eyes the floating platform a little more warily now. **
(44) Agatha: "That's a bit odd."
(36) DM: (ok, I need three of you to roll 1d20. I don't care who does it, but one roll per PC. The roll will simulate the casting of the coins. Odd = heads, even = tails.)
(62) Git: [1d20] -> [2] = (2) -> [15] -> 15 = (15)
(44) Agatha: [1d20] -> [19] = (19) -> [20] -> 20 = (20)
(43) Lellick: [1d20] -> [17] = (17) -> [19] -> 19 = (19)
(36) DM: A scene forms within the waters of the river...
(36) DM: In the ripples of the water below, you see withered trees bleeding from horrible
cracks in their bark. Dark and loathsome creatures move in the dense and mangled
brush.

A twisted tower stands among the winding streets of a tortured city. Within sits the
elfking upon his throne, the same elfking you saw in the sphere within the crystal cathedral. His mouth gapes in a silent scream. Shadows shift behind him, prodding him, tormenting him.
(36) DM: A woman surrounded by light points her finger at the king. The air wavers, her light splits the darkness and awakens the king as the world about him fades.

Suddenly, ripples cross the water. Beside the king is seen a glowing orb filled with both darkness and light. It falls to the floor and shatters as the hall fills with evil. The king awakens, and the evil crumbles into dawn.

So ends the vision.
(62) Git: "Right... now we just need to find a woman to blast the king with diving light."
(44) Agatha: "Hm, seems so simple."
** (44) Agatha isn't sure if she meant that to be sarcastic or not. **
(62) Git: "Hmmm... maybe we should post an ad in the local square. Wanted: One sacred woman of unearthly power. King slaying ability a must."
(43) Lellick: "Well, if we can't just do it ourselves.."
** (62) Git begins over the bridge **
** (44) Agatha follows, taking her axe out as she walks. **
** (43) Lellick takes up a spot close to the rear as he follows along. **
(36) DM: Dead and brittle thistlevines cross the road ahead in a tangled pattern. Black leaves rustle along the roadway that twists and turns among the trees. A green noxious light penetrates the fog overhead, green fog writhes in layers on the ground. You can see ahead or behind you only a few yards. The road twists out of sight in either direction.

The trees of fabled Celdenor weep blood.
(36) DM: (I need a marching order please.)
** (62) Git strolls along ahead, eyes and ears alert for dangers in this warped landscape. **
** (72) J'hzuu is somewhere in the middle, probably as near Aggie as he can get. **
** (43) Lellick will be last then. **
** (44) Agatha is right behind Git, ready to push him out of the way if necessary. **
(36) DM: All around you are the trees of fabled Celdenor, hideously changed. The soul of every tree appears to be trapped in torment, imprisoned within the trunk. The twisted branches of the trees are limbs of its spirit, contorted in agony. The grasping roots claw the ground in a hopeless attempt to flee. The rustling of leaves is a cry of pain and terror.
** (44) Agatha takes notes of the surroundings. "I'm not even an elf and I feel sad for these trees." **

** (317) Git gives one withering look about the tortured forest, before beginning across the bridge, offering back: "Well... waiting around here pitying them isn't helping any." **
(317) Git: (is there a clear path into the forest?)
(318) DM: (yes)
(318) DM: (the path continues on into the forest)
** (316) Kha sighs and moves down the path **
** (316) Kha Consentrates a moment and draws power into himself **
(318) DM: As you enter the forest, visibility decreases due to the blanket of greenish-tinged fog that permeates the woods.
** (304) Lellick mutters, mostly to himself, "This can't be healthy..." **
** (317) Git strolls the path cautiously, alert for surrounding dangers. Silently he tries to take account of his status, to assure the strange fog is not have any effects **
** (316) Kha keeps on down the path listening for anything in the woods "This place is depressing" **
(316) Kha: "better teh Pink trees though"
** (313) ticattack looks around at the fog, and his ears flatten against his skull. "J'hzuu does not like this... Anything could be out there..." **
(313) J'hzuu: ((Whoops... no alias...))
(318) TaliesinNYC: [1d20] -> [1] = (1)
(318) TaliesinNYC: [1d6] -> [5] = (5)
** (316) Kha keeps an eye to the trees watching for spiders, and keeps the power at the ready **
** (304) Lellick periodically glances back over his shoulder. **
(318) DM: The path suddenly broadens and leads into a small clearing, within which can be seen a small community of star elves. Their eyes are the eyes of the hunted and the haunted.
(318) DM: Hastily constructed lean-tos and shelters can be seen within. They appear to be having a meal, and look up warily at your approach.
** (316) Kha calls out "Greetings" **
** (317) Git looks about the village, eyeing the carefully,. wondering if they are living creatures before approaching. **
** (304) Lellick steps out from behind the others to get a better look at the elves, keeping his hands in plain sight. **
(318) Miriaele: Anduil alamaste.
(318) DM: An elfwoman rises from the group and addresses you in a voice cracked with fatigue.
** (317) Git gives a slight returning sincerely, "Anduil alamaste" **
(317) Git: (slight bow that is)
(318) Miriaele: You speak our language well being that you are Men.
** (316) Kha nods to the woman "My name is Kha. If I may ask whats wrong with these woods?" **
(318) Miriaele: Welcome to our home....such as it is. I am Miriaele Wayfarer and I lead our clan in these woods.
(318) Miriaele: We...we do not know. It has been this, of old, for quite some time. It is a dream but not one we have been able to wake from.
(317) Git: (does she appear as the woman from the image?)
** Miriaele gestures wearily around her. "We were once a proud tribe and this is all that has become of us." **
(318) DM: (no)
(318) Miriaele: You are Men...far away from your lands. Why are you here? Why are you come to Celdenor?
(316) Kha: "Celdenor? I know that name from someware." **Pauses to think** "Do you know a Hathala, I belive it was she who mentions that name before"
(317) Git: "That... is a long story. Best to say we're here on a dream as well, waitin gto wake up with you."
** (304) Lellick gives Miriaele a small smile, "If there is anything you know about how the forest came to be this way, we would appreciate the information." **
** (317) Git takes a moment to look among the women of the village, trying to match a face to the river's premonition **
** Miriaele pauses for a moment. "No, I cannot say I have. That name is unfamiliar to me." **
** (316) Kha shrugs **
(318) Evaeran: I can tell you, stranger. It is a magic that was born of our King. He made it this way to protect our land, our people. And now it has turned the land against us.
(318) DM: One of the elves, an elder from his appearance, looks up at you with a face lined with sorrow.
** (304) Lellick blinks, turning to the person who spoke, "For protection? What was it that the King wished to protect you from?" **
(318) Evaeran: Look around you. This is a product of his doing. It is a waking nightmare, from which there is no end.
(318) Evaeran: From those who dwell below. Ilythi'iri and novo'thas-alen.
(318) Evaeran: From those in the Sunless Lands, and elves of the Shadow.
** (304) Lellick inches over to Git, whispering to him, "...what's that last word he said?" **
(318) Evaeran: He was a powerful mage in his own right, and his pride became our undoing.
** (316) Kha starts roaming around the village just looking things over **
(317) Git: "Did he really have so much power as to allocate the forest to this timeless realm? Or did he have some aid?
(318) Miriaele: Forgive me, my manners. That is Evaeran, our tribe's elder, priest and lorekeeper. Please, be welcome here in our camp.
(304) Lellick: "Our thanks for your hospitality. It is beyond welcome in a place like this."
(318) DM: (It's really a small clearing, enough for about six elves. You note that the dwellings seem to have been constructed as far away from the forest as the clearing will allow.)
(318) Evaeran: He sought aid, not from the Ara-Cemanri, but from himself. And in response, the gods turned against us and caused his spell to become a nightmare.
(318) Evaeran: It is said that only those brave of heart and will can weave truth from the dream and end the nightmare.
** Evaeran looks at his meal, eyes downcast with shame. **
(317) Git: "Have any of your tribe tried?"
(318) Miriaele: All of our warriors have, alamaste-alil. All have failed.
(318) Miriaele: They entered the city and have not returned.
(317) Git: :nods dolmnly, uttering in elven tongue: "I'm sorry for your losses. We will do what we can."
(317) Git: (solemnly rather)
(318) Miriaele: Those who pass the gates walk their own path. Within the city, the nightmare grows even more horrible. No two people who have passed the gate and who have lived ever tell the same tale about what happened to them within, although they swear they were never parted.
(318) Evaeran: I tried and was aged beyond my years for having done so.
(318) Evaeran: We welcome your aid but have little to offer in return.
** (316) Kha smiles "Deams are fun to travel in" **
** (304) Lellick glances at Kha with raised eyebrows. **
(316) Kha: "Dreams are the realm of Oneiros" **Kha shrugs**
** (313) J'hzuu frowns at Kha. "Dreams may be fun, but nightmares are rarely so..." **
(318) Evaeran: This is no dream. At least we are not. (picks at his food)
(317) Git: "Did the king use something supplement his power to do this? Some artifice or summon a demon? Or was this simply a powerful spell he cast all on his own?
(323) Aziraphale (enter): 23:31
(316) Kha: "Nightmares are just messages that you dont want to hear. Anyways maybe we should rest here if we can before passing the Gate"
(318) Miriaele: I am unsure. All I know is that we have lived within this waking nightmare for many of what you call years, and it is not as it once was.
(304) Lellick: "Resting is a good idea, as loathe as I am to do it here..."
(318) Miriaele: We are far removed from ancient Celdenir, and have never been comfortable in the city. Evaeran could probably tell you, if he were to remember it. He was at the temple when our life became this nightmare.
(318) TaliesinNYC: Booting '(307) Aziraphale' from room...
(307) Aziraphale (exit): 23:34
** (317) Git nods to his comrades and notes to the elves, "Perhaps you can tell us more of it as we rest." **
** (316) Kha takes a seat someware out of the way of the elves as to not intrude too much **
(318) DM: (going to FF a bit)
(318) DM: You learn while you spend time with the elves that although the land has a horrific appearance, much of what you experience here is real. Deeper within the woods, the line between reality and illusion becomes blurred. And deeper still, reality gives way to madness.
** (317) Git sits down to speak with the elves, asking about the land, their ordeal, and even taking some time out to ask about their lives before their displaceement, if only to take minds of suffering. **
(318) DM: At the heart of the dream is ancient Celdenir, the capital of Celdenor. Within the city or so the stories go, is a way to end the dream. But none have returned apart from Evaeran, and he does not remember all there is to know.
(318) DM: You have been to Celdenir before, and Celdenor. But the land as you remember it is not the vision you are seeing before you.
** (304) Lellick kneels in prayer after they awaken, though he performs them a little faster than normal. **
** (317) Git goes through his morning exercises, still speaking with the elves as he does, inquiring about the sonf Chronias sang, and other odd bits of elven historia **
** (313) J'hzuu emerges from his extradimensional hideyhole, having already focused his energy for the day. **
(317) Git: "So, how many entrances are there to the city?"
(318) Miriaele: There are as many entrances to Celdenir as there are dreams.
(317) Git: "Wonderful... I'll take the entrance with the golden bathhose full of lusty young wenches."
** (316) Kha smirks **
(313) J'hzuu: "J'hzuu would settle for the one without bloodthirsty monsters trying to eat him..."
(317) Git: "I wonder if we can dream of a safe entrance."
** (304) Lellick climbs up to his feet, stretching a bit. "Are we nearly ready to go, then?" **
** (316) Kha nods to Lellick **
(317) Git: "Ah well... I've always wanted to see a dreamland." :stands ready to leave:
** (317) Git bows to the elves, thanking them for their hospitality before setting out for the city **
(318) Evaeran: Namarie alamaste.
(318) Miriaele: Take the road east and then the right fork. Whenever you come to a fork, take the right fork. Do not stray from the path.
(304) Lellick: "Thank you. We shall do as you say."
** (316) Kha follows Git and the others and starts watching the rees again as soon as they enter the forest **
(316) Kha: (( AFK for a smoke ))
** (304) Lellick will follow them as well, taking up the last spot in the marching order again. **
** (317) Git thanks them once mroe before setting out, staying on the 'right' path **
(318) Miriaele: In the distance can be heard rushing water. The path continues on into the forest.
** (317) Git follows the sound of water into the forest. **
** (304) Lellick sticks pretty close to the others. "I wonder how we are supposed to succeed, when their warriors did not?.." **
(317) Git: "Luck and a positive attitude."
(318) DM: The path eventually comes to a fork. The left fork continues to a bridge that ventures deeper into the woods. The right fork meanders along the banks of a river. Black rotting leaves drift past, each striking the oily surface of the river with a whimpering sob. The dark water reflects the tortured trees along its banks and the green, boiling fog overhead.

There is a raft here.

** (317) Git heads to the right, looking over the raft to see how surdy it is. **
(318) DM: It appears to be made of oak logs lashed together. Perhaps it could hold four people....perhaps less.
(304) Lellick: "Should we bring it with us? I'm not too eager to wade though that, if we have to cross."
(325) Git (enter): 00:20
Attempting to assign the role of PLAYER to (325) Git...
** (313) J'hzuu shrugs. "J'hzuu can get all over the water, or the bridge with his magicks." **
(304) Lellick: "Mmm.. but we're not supposed to go towards the bridge, remember?"
(325) Git: (got kicked, what's the condition with the raft?)
(318) DM: (It appears to be sturdy but there's no real way to determine that short of trying it out...:) )
(316) Kha: Disconnecting from server...
(316) Dj Gilcrease (exit): 00:29
(318) TaliesinNYC: Booting '(317) Git' from room...
(317) Git (exit): 00:29
(318) DM: (DJ had to go to sleep...)
(313) J'hzuu: ((He told us via GW))
(318) DM: (so I'm not sure we can continue with 3 people. we can try....if you want.)
(325) Git: [email protected] you did something to him! Didn't you?!
(318) DM: lol
(313) ticattack: ((I'm fine either way. We can continue, but... well, are there any potential nasties at alll?))
(323) Aziraphale (exit): 00:31
(313) ticattack: I mean, if there is, we shouldn't, 'cause the closest thing to a meatshield we've got is Lellick...
(304) Lellick: (..yeah, and, ow)
(304) Lellick: (He could always try meatshielding, but I doubt he'll last too long)
(325) Git: (hmmm... so... we're stopping then?)
(313) ticattack: ((I'm thinking Stan's dropped out or summat...))
(318) TaliesinNYC: there might be
Attempting to DISABLE moderation in the current room...
Server Administrator-> This channel is now unmoderated
(318) TaliesinNYC: I'm calling a timeout here
(318) TaliesinNYC: John dropped out of the queue
(318) TaliesinNYC: so Frostfall, I can't remember your name, are you still interested?
(313) ticattack: ... that's Azi?
(318) TaliesinNYC: yes
(318) TaliesinNYC: because if you aren't, then I need to restart recruiting again
(308) The Lurker: I'm John, from Phoenix, if that makes things easier. And yes.
(318) TaliesinNYC: there's John, the lurker from California
(318) TaliesinNYC: :)
(318) TaliesinNYC: ok
(318) TaliesinNYC: what did you have in mind then for a PC?
(308) The Lurker: Melee. Maybe Fighter/Dervish.
(318) TaliesinNYC: you still need to do the reading but I'm breaking my rule to allow you into the game
(318) TaliesinNYC: if you're up to the 30s
(308) The Lurker: Just about there. I'm 28-ish. Towards the end of that one. I should hit 30 in a few hours.
(304) Lellick: *hums* Are we waiting to see if Agatha shows?
(318) TaliesinNYC: she's probably not showing tonight
(318) TaliesinNYC: human?
(308) The Lurker: Yeah.
(304) Lellick: Hmm, well, hanging out's fun
(318) TaliesinNYC: any questions so far?
(318) TaliesinNYC: I don't know why John from CA dropped out
(308) The Lurker: Well, I was kind of curious about how many people this campaign has gone through, if you keep a approximate figure. >_>
(318) TaliesinNYC: but I suppose his ?s about PCs had part to do with it
(304) Lellick: You mean Azi?
(318) TaliesinNYC: yes
(318) TaliesinNYC: less than 10
(318) TaliesinNYC: of the people who've played and dropped? less than 10
(308) The Lurker: ....hold on, my cat just stole a roll of paper towels.
(304) Lellick: He messaged me saying he didn't like how slow the pace of this game was, and that he was probably better off looking for a live game.. geez, I thought he'd tell you
** (308) The Lurker takes it back. "Better." **
(318) TaliesinNYC: David (from CA), Maximus' player, Arianrhiod's player, Sarrim and maybe one or two
(318) TaliesinNYC: the people who join for 2 or 3 sessions don't count
(318) TaliesinNYC: so maybe more than 10 but not more than 15 if you include the stragglers
(313) ticattack: ... Is Norf coming back?
(318) TaliesinNYC: I don't know
(318) TaliesinNYC: he doesn't have e-mail access apparently
(318) TaliesinNYC: he's on the verge of being dropped. I might be patient but I'm not eternal
(313) ticattack: Fair 'nuff.
(304) Lellick: ... how can you not have e-mail access?
(318) TaliesinNYC: his cpu bombed
(318) TaliesinNYC: or something
(304) Lellick: Ooh
(313) ticattack: Oof...
(304) Lellick: You can still go to a public library to check your e-mail >_> (/too critical)
(318) TaliesinNYC: Norf dropped out for 4 months the first time because of a recurrent staph infection
(318) TaliesinNYC: then he rejoined
(318) TaliesinNYC: but its been erratic and I need someone more dependable
(318) TaliesinNYC: yes
(318) TaliesinNYC: but I can't get bent out of shape
(308) The Lurker: Maybe all the public libraries near him burned down in inexplicable fires.
(304) Lellick: lol..
(318) TaliesinNYC: ah
(308) The Lurker: Maybe he was living on a south pacific island with a bunch of natives, and had the only computer for 500 miles.
(318) TaliesinNYC: well that's interesting
(313) ticattack: Nice theory...
(318) TaliesinNYC: if we had more players the pace increases noticeably
(318) TaliesinNYC: but whatever
(308) The Lurker: Maybe he's really an alien, and he's out of contact because he's busy on the mothership. Who can say?
(318) TaliesinNYC: want to roll stats?
(308) The Lurker: Mmmm.. sure.
(308) The Lurker: [4d6] -> [1,4,5,4] = (14) [4d6] -> [4,4,4,1] = (13) [4d6] -> [3,1,6,5] = (15) [4d6] -> [5,2,3,4] = (14) [4d6] -> [6,1,1,5] = (13) [4d6] -> [1,3,3,1] = (8)
(304) Lellick: ..ow
(318) TaliesinNYC: so 13, 12, 14, 12, 12 and 7
(313) ticattack: ... yikes. That's some nasty crap...
(318) TaliesinNYC: you can keep those scores or reroll
(318) TaliesinNYC: but you get one reroll
(308) The Lurker: It's my pennance for once rolling 12, 14, 14, 14, 16, 17, 18.
(318) TaliesinNYC: lol
(308) The Lurker: er.. no 12.
(313) ticattack: That's about a 22 point point-buy...
(318) TaliesinNYC: he gets 9 points on top of this
(313) ticattack: Assuming the 7 counts as -1...
(318) TaliesinNYC: you're forgetting
(313) ticattack: Ah, true. Was forgetting.
(313) ticattack: Ok, so they're actually pretty decent.
(318) TaliesinNYC: so up to you, keep these scores or reroll. regardless of which you choose, you get 9 points (7 bonus, +1 for 4th and +1 for 8th)
(308) The Lurker: Hmmmmm. Choices, choices...
(318) TaliesinNYC: I'm allowing the reroll because of the 1s
(318) TaliesinNYC: otherwise I wouldn't
(308) The Lurker: Eh. I guess I'll reroll and trust in getting worse scores.
(313) ticattack: If you go by the average, chances are you'll roll something better. Average for 4d6 is 14...
(326) Git (enter): 01:04
(308) The Lurker: [4d6] -> [3,4,6,5] = (18) [4d6] -> [5,5,5,3] = (18) [4d6] -> [3,1,5,3] = (12) [4d6] -> [2,1,6,4] = (13) [4d6] -> [2,3,6,2] = (13) [4d6] -> [4,6,1,2] = (13)
(308) The Lurker: >_>
(313) ticattack: 15, 15, 11, 12, 11, 12.
(313) ticattack: Three pair!
(304) Lellick: Your luck with the dice is pretty amusing
(308) The Lurker: I'm very lucky. All of it's terrible.
(313) ticattack: That's not too bad. He could have two 18's...
Attempting to assign the role of PLAYER to (326) Git...
(318) TaliesinNYC: Booting '(325) Git' from room...
(325) Git (exit): 01:06
(313) ticattack: 18, 16, 14, 13, 12, 12... With the +9, this is, assuming a fairly even spread...
(308) The Lurker: Yeah, s'not too bad.
(318) TaliesinNYC: no score above 20
(318) TaliesinNYC: so let me know
(313) ticattack: Before racial mod's or after?
(318) TaliesinNYC: after
(318) TaliesinNYC: he's playing a human
(313) ticattack: Ah.
(318) TaliesinNYC: so there's not much to worry about unless he wants to do an Imperial or a Fhaardfolk
(318) TaliesinNYC: ok, well, let's continue. I have to alter a few things
(318) TaliesinNYC: but it's not going to be as much fun as if we had a full group
(304) Lellick: We only have.. what, two more hours tonight, anyway?
(318) DM: (back to the raft)
(318) DM: (yes)
(313) ticattack: ((If it's going to suffer, perhaps we should stop here. It's not like it'd be the first time that we've stopped about 1ish...))
(326) Git: (agreed, no point in forcing it)
(304) Lellick: (Thirded)
(318) TaliesinNYC: ok


Back to Tolmara Logs
Game Logs
Damrosil Logs
Forgotten Realms Logs
MelNethra Logs
Tolmara Logs

Rules
Character Generation and House Rules
Classes of Andurin
Cosmology of Andurin
Empires of the North
Geography of Andurin
History of Western Andurin
Lands of the Fhaard
Lands of the Sea Realms
Lands of the White Alliance
Magic of Andurin
Philosophical Themes
Races of Andurin
Songs of Andurin
The Southern Kingdoms